Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

This question is the Jaguar mechanic. We stared a dialog

Customer Question

This question is for Richard the Jaguar mechanic. We stared a dialog back on the 14th of Dec. I need to start a new session. My questions regard my 01 Jaguar xk8. It has a now crank issue. At the end of last conversation it was determined the problems most likely the transponder ring. Has stated before when tested it showed no resistance when checked across the two leads. Have read on Jaguar site that there should be about 33.4 ohms of resistance. I order another transponder, check when it arrived, it showed the same no resistance. to make sure these where correct readings used 3 different testers. Installed new any why no change. Question is the test for resistance a viable test? If so do you beleive I got an out of the box failure?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

There definitely should be resistance across the exciter coil so I am not sure why you are not getting a reading. Since you installed a new one and the problem is still present then it can be the key itself or possibly the key transponder module.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have checked both the old and the new exciter coils with three different ohm meters. The new one coils was checked before it was installed. All three ohm meters showed the same results. Zero resistance on both coils. I have double checked and triple checked to make sure I was using the correct settings etc. So if there is a resistance reading required for the exciter coil to function properly ; it would appear the new coil must be bad also. Would you agree? I have two keys both act the same way. So both keys failing at the same time seems highly unlikely.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Ok then yes we should definitely read a resistance value so I would agree the coils are most likely bad.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your response.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome.