Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Fauzi and I just bought a 2003 Jaguar S Type R with 191,000

Customer Question

Customer: Fauzi and I just bought a 2003 Jaguar S Type R with 191,000 ***** ***** on it from this dealer. yesterday, now I am getting transmission fault plus park brake fault
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: shifting fine earlier driving to work when the transmission fault message popped up on the dash, the transmission felt shifting between 1 & 2 gears only.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Jaguar Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Can I have the last six of your VIN? Did the warnings go off after you turned off the vehicle and restarted it? Did you notice if we lost the gear illumination on the shifter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
M83674. The warning went off after restart and its goes back to transmission fault after running couple of miles especially if I accelerate quick. No lost of gear illumination on the shifter however, if you put the gear to park, the P flashes.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok sorry for the delay.

This does sound like it may be electrical like possibly a problem with the TCM valve body. The first step would be to check the fluid level and condition as low fluid from a leak in the pan or cooler pipes can cause this. Since there is no dipstick this is not easily done as a fill/level check plug is removed with the fluid warmed, engine running and vehicle on a level surface or lift. We also will need to have the vehicle scanned for the stored fault codes to be sure. Let me know.