Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I have a 2010 Jag xkr, and the smart key is stuck in the

Customer Question

Customer: HI Richard. I have a 2010 Jag xkr, and the smart key is stuck in the dock. Just replaced the battery.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: BAttery died while I was on vacation. Car asked me to insert the smart key when I got back, but would not start. Smart key would not release, even though the car has a 'remove smart key' message. I replaced the battery and nothing different with key or message.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Jaguar Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Try disconnecting the battery for about 5 minutes then reconnect it and see if this allows the key to release and operate properly from there.If this does not work or was already tried and did not work let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks, Pete,The battery was disconnected for more than 5 minutes when I replaced it. No change - the key is still stuck and the car will not start - no response at all when pushing the start button.

O.k.,this is a difficult question for me to answer myself here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Hello

When you open the door does the touchscreen display the Jaguar start up screen. If so will the system turn on if you press the on button?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When I open the door the touchscreen display does show the Jaguar start up screen, but does not go to the home page. Nothing happens when I push the start button (with brake pedal pressed for ignition or not pressed for convenience mode).
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also, the first suggestion I received - disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes - was pathetic. I stated that my battery had died, and I had replaced it. Anyone familiar with my car would know that changing the battery requires at least 5 minutes with the battery disconnected. I understand that some of the people using this site may not have much mechanical know how, but offering that as a solution to my problem was ridiculous. Especially when the 'expert' had nothing further to offer when that did not work. I certainly hope that I am not being charged for suggestions that a first year mechanic might make.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

PLease check fuse #5, #7 and #9 all 5 amp in the central junction box in the lower left side A post. Make sure they are not blown. Also fully remove all three and try and remove the key from the dock. If not then install each one by one seeing if the key can be removed after re installing each fuse. The dock can be faulty corrupting the security system. Let me know.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Tried all of the above. No difference.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
All the fuses were good.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

OK not sure if this is an option but disconnect the battery overnight then reconnect it to see if the key will release. Before doing that open the driver door and see if the hazard switch is illuminating.