Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I am trying to replace the ac and the alternator drive belts

Customer Question

I am trying to replace the ac and the alternator drive belts on a 1997 jaguar vanden plas. I am having trouble getting the tensioner on the ac drive belt to give some slack. what should I do?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Are you able to loosen the 15mm adjuster nut or is it seized?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
which nut is that the one on the tensioner pulley?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Yes behind the pulley is a stud which has a15mmnuon it this needs to be turned to move the tensioner pulley. Let me see if I can locate a diagram.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can turn the 1/4 inch bolt that adjusts the tension. my question is do I have to slacken the bolt in the middle of the tensioner? Also, do I have to remove the two bolts that hold the plate to the some other part?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That bolt is vertical and goes through a square bit of metal. I slacken that up but the tension on the belt does not change.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Yes loosen the bolt in the middle of the pulley first then on the stud. Sometimes you do have to loosen the bolts on the bracket as well.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what conditions would require me to loosen the bolts on the bracket? Also what is the size of the bolt in the pulley?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Sometimes that adjuster gets stuck and we need a little movement in the bracket. From memory the bolt is a 13mm.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Let me go and try that and I will come back to you later.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
are you going to share the diagram?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

you need to loosen both the top and bottom bolts then the lock nut and adjuster nut til the belt has enough slack to be able to be removed. Here is a good pic. To replace the a/c compressor belt loosen the adjuster pulley bolt then the slide.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Here is the a/c diagram