Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I have a 2004 Jag X-Type that goes into reverse perfectly

Customer Question

Hi Richard,
I have a 2004 Jag X-Type that goes into reverse perfectly well, but does not go into drive.
The dash shows a transmission fault. Another oddity is the P, N and R light up on the shifter plate when shifted into those positions, but D does not. Not sure if that's important of not.
As an fairly descent amateur, Is there anything I can do to further diagnose / repair?
Thank you!
Kerry
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Hi Kerry

Will the vehicle engage if you move to the manual side of the shifter and will it illuminate the 4, 3, or 2?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, it will not. And the numbers do not illuminate.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

OK did this problem start after rain or after going through a car wash?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I believe it did
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

OK we may have a problem with water leaking into the TCM which is the transmission control module. It is located behind the driver side dash. We can remove it and disconnect it to see if we can detect any signs of water or corrosion in it.

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

The TCM is located behind the driver side dash tucked up in the top corner behind the fuse box. It is held on by two 10mm nuts. If you have auto wipers there will be a small gray box in front of the larger silver box which is the TCM.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll take it off and let you know.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There's a small amount of rust on the top face of the casing near the left mounting hole, but no visible corrosion on the connector pins. I also removed the cover and circuit board and it appears to be very clean - there's no damage I can see.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Richard - what would be the next step troubleshooting this ?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Ok we will need to have the vehicle scanned for the stored fault codes since the gearbox fault warning is on. We also need to go underneath and remove the black metal cable cover to inspect the cable and linkage.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry for the delay - work plus the holiday has made time hard to come by. The linkage looks okay and appears to move normally. Will check codes this afternoon.