sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My 1996 xj6 is showing 5 codes. P1775, p0300, p1313,

Customer Question

My 1996 xj6 is showing 5 codes. P1775, p0300 , p1313 , p0705,p0706 after putting in new plugs and replacing the trans and engine cluster lights that somebody had removed and clearing with the scanner .Now only 3 codes are coming up . Although after I put some miles on it the other 2 may come back .Trying to get the engine light and trans light off to go thru inspection
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The P0300 and 1313 are related to misfiring, the other codes are setting because of an issue with the transmission range sensor.

You mentioned not all codes had come back. Which ones are currently setting?

Does the engine run poorly now? Was it running poorly before the plugs were replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't hear back from anyone here for awhile and became anxious to get the car tagged so posted on a couple car forums and have a sensor on its way from eBay already thanks for the response but I already have the needed info

You're wecome!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After replacing the range sensor switch the transmission light sent off .I now have the following codes showing. P1775 ,p1138, p0159, p0413 this is without driving it after replacing the range sensor switch. The car ran great before the new plugs and still runs great .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to drive the car for awhile and check the codes again I guess .

You'll need to either disconnect the battery or clear all fault codes with a scan tool.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay already did that ,so drive it for awhile right

Yes, drive it and see what codes set again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The DMV is close by so I and they don't seem to mind me running it up there for them to plug into it but their just going to tell me to drive it for awhile which I plan to do right now

If you mean for an emissions test yes, you'll have to put a couple hundred miles on it for all monitors to run.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay check engine back on scanned it and just the 1775 code now ? Go to transmission shop or try myself
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay so took it back thru DMV still showing 1775 ,0705, 0706 even though the transmission light is off now that the sensor is replaced

When you cleared the codes was it by battery disconnect?

Were you having shift issues before the sensor was replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cleared it with a scanner check engine light came back on in a few miles . The car seems to run, shift and do everything fine I'm just trying to get it through inspection
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No light on the dash for being in park,reverse ect ,could that be the problem ?

Were there shifting issues before the sensor was replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never a problem with the car . Since I've owned it which is only a couple weeks just trying to pass inspection

The issue could be with the trans controller or range sensor wiring. You can do a good visual inspection of the wiring, if there are no visible problems then the wiring will need to be tested for continuity as well as for shorts to power or ground.