Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

98 XJ8 Tail Lamps OK but not lighting, not a fuse or bulbs,

Customer Question

98 XJ8 Tail Lamps OK but not lighting, not a fuse or bulbs, how do I check module?
Category: Jaguar
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I seem to be led to the Body Processer Module or Body Control Module, but ???
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Only the tail lights do not work with the head lamp switch in any lighting position? DO all other front and rear lights work like the license plates and markers?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, Brake lights & turn indicators work, nothing else... suspect Body Control Module / body processer module which apparently is behind glove box, leary of ordering a used one, but nothing else makes sense yet...
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Ok so the markers and license plate lights also do not work? DO the front parking lights work?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
High & Low Beam & Front Turn Indicators work, nothing else
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Based on your description it sounds like one of the solder connections has broke on the switch. The wires are soldered to the switch then go to a connector. This is all part of the switch. Remove the steering column covers and look to see if any wires are loose off the back of the switch. Let me know.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no visable issues at the switch, waiting for a BPM to try that suggestion
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

OK we will need to make sure the BPM is the same part number and programming suffix on the white VCATS label in the trunk.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Got the new BPM Today, disconnected batt, replaced BPM, identical part numbers as far as I can tell... reattached battery cable to discover battery dead... charged battery until car would start, started car and found NO Change in rear light situation... Do I " the BPM somehow??? How?