Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Technician
36867192

I have a 2001 s-type Jaguar that I took to the dealership

Customer Question

Customer: My name is***** have a 2001 s-type Jaguar that I took to the dealership due to a Key Reprogram Issue because the vehicle would not crank. I just purchased this vehicle from my brother's friend. Jaguar advised me that the vehicle needed interment cluster that started at $2000. Another friend picked it up and took it to another shop where he placed it on the computer and I was advised that the computer of the Jaguar was bad and needed to be replaced! I don't know who or what to believe. I'd like to see what you think???
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well it was taken to several other local shops for the key/ignition problem. The vehicle is not responding when the key is engaged in the ignition. That's all I can offer and it does not or will not start at all.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $24) to post your type of question to Car Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes-that's fine!
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

The instrument cluster needs to be removed and inspected for cracked solder joints, The solder joints can be resoldered, and usually fix the issue, but once the repaired instrument cluster is reinstalled the vehicle computer will have to be flashed before the vehicle will start. Please RATE my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not, Please ASK me another question, I will continue to answer your questions even after the rating is given until you are completely satisfied with my answers.