Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

X type will not shift out of park and brake light fuse keeps

Customer Question

X type will not shift out of park and brake light fuse keeps blowing......any ideas?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I'd 1st investigate the connections to the brake pedal switch and the wiring to it for any crimp damage or fraying. Ideally use a multimeter to check that the switch is working OK. This is because the gearbox controller won't allow the lever to shift from park until it sees that your foot is on the brakes

There should be 2 switches one for the brake lights and the other for the gearbox and both are located at the top of the brake pedal in the drivers footwell.

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage for any broken parts and or missing bolts or if a bolt is partially out and is jamming things up

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuse still blows even after replacing brake light switch and removed tail lights.......no broken parts or frayed wires
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Ok the next step will be to trace the loom back a part at a time

I'd start from the pedal switch and then check where the loom runs back into the main portion where it's then secured to the bulkhead and wherever else the loom passes over other hard points and is secured to the car

whereever there's a pinch point is a possible place to short out

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.