Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Jaguar Vanden Plas: I have a 96 jaguar vander plas, 44k miles

Customer Question

I have a 96 jaguar vander plas, 44k miles on it, been parked in a garage for the past 5 years. long story short drained fuel, changed plugs, cleaned the injectors, runs but has a stumble and the check engine light is on with a missfire code for #3,4 cyl. Moved the coil and the injector to different cylinders, still miss fire on #4 cyl, put noid light on injector and coil plugs, has no power signal coming to the coil for this cyl, injector does. chased wire from coil to what i think is the ecm or gem module under dash a pass side kick panel, white and pink wire when tested to ground has 14.3v green and red wire when tested to ground has .50 v and when tested between the two has 0volts. can it be the the computer simply lost a single cyliner? there is a distribitor pickup but no actual cap or rotor, pick up does look clean and no corrosion. at a loss please send me in a direction
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.
Lets go back to the ECM. For cylinder 4 coil it should be pin 5 light green/red on the black connector. With everything plugged in and the engine running we should read battery voltage with the meter. We also should see if it will light a bulb to make sure it is carrying current. Do this with the ignition ON. This tells us the coil is getting power and the wiring is good. The ECM could be bad. We can swap that wire with the one next to it on our 6 light green/pink which is for cylinder 3. Let me know.