Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

My Name is also Car is an 01 Jaguar xk8 64500 ***** *****.

Customer Question

Customer: My Name is ***** ***** Car is an 01 Jaguar xk8 64500 ***** *****. Just finished replacing top hydraulic hoses. Stared car 3 or 4 times during this process. Disconnected and reconnected battery several times. Now have a no crank condition. All the lights, locks, windows, sound system, trunks release etc work. But nothing happens in start. Wounder if ecm has been damaged?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Names is Richard not ***** *****. What other info do you need?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Jaguar Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes I can wait. Thanks
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jaguar
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
lost my contact so never finished payment process. I still need to do that. Thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

Will the shifter release from park with the ignition ON and foot on the brake? Any warning messages on?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
you can shift can hear the start in park selinoid working when you step on the brake. There are no warring messages now was getting a trac not available and asc not available but gone now with battery charger on the battery,
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I do not know why I have not got any response from you. Is there something I need do do before I get any more info?
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

Sorry for the delay.

Disconnect the negative battery terminal cable for about 10 minutes. Fully charge the battery then lock/unlock the vehicle using the key in the driver door. See if it will reset in case it is a security problem.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok will give this a try. Still need to know how to pay for this service since I got screw up the first time. Will be away from home all day to marrow Tuesday.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

You authorize payment when you send over a positive rating.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well the problem must not be a security issue ; using the key in the door did not change the situation. Do you have another suggestion.?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Try this test. Close all the doors and lower the driver side window. Lock the vehicle then reach in through the open window and open the door. The alarm should sound. Insert the key in the ignition and turn it to the ON position. The alarm should stop. If it does not then the key is not being recognized. To stop the alarm lock and unlock the door using the key int he door lock cylinder. If the alarm does stop then we could have a starter problem or relay. Let me know.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry but things have been hectic around hear. Pluming problems, unexpected company, doctor visits etc. will try your latest suggestion today. Thanks again.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Tried your suggestion. Key in ignition will not turn off the alarms. Will in the door. So as per your instructions the key is not being recognized. Why would this be when car stared fine the day before? Is it the exciter ring? Thanks again. Please let me know what I must do next.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Yes it could be a bad key or that reader exciter cool which is the part that goes around the ignition cylinder. Unfortunately there is no way to bypass the security. Let me know.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Have two keys both act the same. If the exciter has to be changed, does the new exciter have to be programed to the keys. If so can this be done by a lock smith that can work with electronic key fobs?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

No there is no programming needed. All the exciter does is read the key frequency and sends this info to the key transponder module and ECM.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Read in Jaguar forum that the transponder ring should have 33.4 ohms of resistance. Pulled the transponder coil and according to a new Milwaukee 2212-20 tester there is no resistance ie zero when the two leads hooked to the meter Thanks for recent response. In your opinion Is the nest step to replace the transponder coil.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

based on that reading then yes sounds like the problem is the ring.