Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

2001 jag vanden plus: no tail lights. all other lights are

Customer Question

2001 jag vanden plus:
no tail lights. all other lights are working.
all fuse are good.
B+ voltage is getting to the BPU
all bulbs are new
replaced BPU 2 times, still no tail lights
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

Remove the steering column covers and look at the back of the headlamp switch. You may find one of the wires broken off the solder causing the problem. Let me know.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
rich, I took the light switch apart and ohmed it out. The switch is good. Getting good ground. The tail tights are not working and the BPM is sending a "check rear light" msg on information panel. Park light, Head light, and Auto all should turn on the tail lights. What's next?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Go to the BPM connector and supply battery voltage to pin 28 and 54 to see if the tail lights work. Then go to pin 16 to see if we have ground with the switch on.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have done that. When I provide 12 volts to pins 28 and 54 the lights are on. I get ground on pin 16 which comes from the switch. I've also grounded pin 16 to bypass switch, no lights
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have done that. when I provide 12 volts to pins 28 and 54 the tail lights come on. I get ground from pin 16 when I switch lights on. It's not the switch. Its not the wiring to the tail lights. I've grounded pin 16 to bypass switch, still no lights.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Are you sure you replaced the BPM with the same exact part number and programming suffix.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did, P/N LNG2500AB/XXX
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Rich, are you going to continue or you giving up. What about checking the software? Or changing the switch? Could it be a bad ground? You are the expert.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

I really am leaning towards the switch as I think there was an error int he wiring diagram as I looked through my notes to see but I cannot find what I was looking for. We need to make sure the suffix is the same. That is the three numbers at the end. It is on the VCATS label in the trunk in the spare tire well.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will I did not get any info that I did not know. I wanted info on how the BPU turn on the tail lights. the BPU monitors current of rear lights and when the current is out of range it sends out a "check rear lights" MSG on information center.. You failed to provide this info. Therefore I cannot give you an ok rating.