Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

1989 jaguar xjs won't start after battery going died

Customer Question

Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello

does the dash all light up as normal and does the engine crank / turn over? as if not then its likely the immobilser is at fault

if it does crank and seem as normal then I'd investigate if you have 12V to the ignition module on the side of the distributor, if there's power here , then also check that you have a good engine earth connection with no corrosion and its tight at both ends

if thats all OK then I'd check inside the distributor cap to check the carbon brush that rubs against the rotor arm hasn't fallen out and if thats OK then replace the ignition module

this can be obtained from ignition specialists like

http://www.simonbbc.com/electronic-ignition-kits?sort=20a&filter_id=2

and I think your distributor is the Lucs 45D4 type - but check this

Expert:  Matt replied 12 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.