Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I may need some help with a no start on a 2000 jaguar s type

Customer Question

Customer: hello, I may need some help with a no start on a 2000 jaguar s type
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 2000 jaguar s type that has fuel and spark but will not start. car was idling and stalled out and will not restart. No codes present.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Jaguar Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: how long are you thinking?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

So right now the engine is cranking strong but will not start or does it seem to be cranking abnormally? Is this a V6 or V8 engine? How was fuel and spark checked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems to be cranking strong and normal. It has the 4.0 v8. I pulled a coil and used a spark plug light tool to check spark and was nice and blue. The fuel was checked my the sharader valve on the rail.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No codes, security light come on the. Goes out as normal also
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok lets try spraying some carb cleaner into the air intake while an assistant cranks the engine so we can verify the engine will start and run on the spray and it is an injection issue. Usually on these if we have spark we should have injector pulse but lets confirm that. Also just in case lets make sure the battery is fully charged as low voltage can be the cause. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We bought a new battery for it last week while trying to get it started and have kept the voltage above 12 volts while trying to start it. I also oiled the cylinders with about a shot of oil in each spark plug whole and put in new spark plugs while checking the old ones just incase the cylinders got washed from all the cranking we've been trying.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also put in a new cps as I know those can make starting near impossible sometimes and not throw a code.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

OK good. Try the spray so we can see if it will start on the supplemental fuel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We tried that as well it back fired wouldn't start.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

OK this can also be the mass air flow sensor. Disconnect it and see if the engine will start and run.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already tried as well.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok double check the red security led. It should come on for three seconds then go off when you turn the ignition ON. If so then we know it is not a security problem. We then need to put a fuel pressure gauge on the injector rail to make sure we have enough fuel to start the engine. Also we should check cylinder compression as I have seen instances with the secondary timing chain tensioners failing causing the chain to jump on the exhaust cam.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have paid attention to the security light from previous advice and it functions exactly as you described. I will check the other to Tom if i have time and let you know. Thank you so far for the help. Good to know I was going down the right path.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

OK let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel pressure was 40psi steady while cranking. Haven't checked timing yet.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok the only real way to check the timing would be to remove both valve covers to inspect the chains and make sure all the flats on the front of each cam are facing up hen the crank is set to the safe position.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I figured it out the ecu is fried.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thats not good. If a new or used PCM is installed it must be programmed for the security system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am aware. I have someone to program it to match the car.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

OK keep me posted and let me know if you need anything else.