Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

My 2000 jaguar van den plas is completely dead..no response

Customer Question

my 2000 jaguar van den plas is completely dead..no response to anything cant get into the trunk where the battery is, cant move the steering wheel or the gear shift lever, ..no indications that one gets when a battery is dead. Its like the car turned itself off and locked up everything
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Will the key turn in the trunk lock cylinder? Does any thing power up when you turn the ignition ON without starting the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing works when I turn the ignition key..no clicking noise ...every thing is dead as if some one turned off the whole car. how do I access the trunk where the battery is as the key doesnt work in the keyhole
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Go under the hood and on the passenger side rear of the engine compartment you will see a thick black cable. That is a positive cable. Pull back the rubber boot and hook the red positive side of a booster or charger there and the black negativ lead to the body. This should give you enough power to unlock the vehicle and open the trunk electrically. Then we can fully charge and test the battery.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** us a clue to our answer. We couldnt get the hood open for some reason so we couldnt hook up the jumpers as you suggested. However we found a spot under the back seat passenger side between the floor and the seat,right in the corner, where you could pull back the cover and see the electric stuff. We connected the jumper cables there and "CLICK" every thing came to life !! Thanks for the tip
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Glad everything worked out.