Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I have a 06 jaguar s-type 3.0 83,000 miles that goes into

Customer Question

Hey I have a 06 jaguar s-type 3.0 83,000 miles that goes into throttle limp mode with everytime it starts with no check engine light and I only get ac system codes when using a code reader, also steering wheel seems as if I'm not getting any power steering,
it's hard to move
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

When it goes into limp mode what warnings come on? Can I have your VIN?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sajwa01ax6fn67211 also getting these codes and I'm getting -780 for steering angle on datalogger
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. Looks like you are using SDD/IDS. What codes are in the other modules? Maybe showing under related events?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Those are all the codes it's showing now l, I got another throttle body, pedal, ignition wires, spark plugs fuel filter, I had a code for throttle body motor but I think it was cause after the ecm shut the motor off, I reset the code after changing those parts those are the only codes now
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

What warnings are on when it goes into limp mode? Did you try scanning it while in limp or immediately after?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
those are the only codes that show, no other codes come on now
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

OK that is very strange since those codes definitely will not cause a limp fault. What I recommend is next time the warning comes on lets plug in and try and read the faults before shutting the engine off. There was a PCM software update for this issue but it really depends on the fault. I also recommend we check the battery and cable connections as low voltage can be the problem. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine light never comes on and I have already checked for codes with after it happens, I have updated the ecu already, not having any battery problems
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

OK explain what happens when you say it goes into throttle limp mode?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You start the car and start driving, once it accelerates to around 2500 rpm it switches gears and drops speed and rpm, goes about 1000 to 1500 rpm only and around 10 to 15 mph
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

OK what warnings messages come on? DSC, Park Brake Fault, Gearbox fault?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None at all, no warnings not even check engine, it's weird too me too, but that what made me contact you, this will help u see its a limp mode, although the stuff on here don't make sense.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Waiting on reply????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I reprogrammed ecu and a couple more codes came up when it went in limp mode
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

What faults are under related? Can you send me a creen shot of the network summary screen which will be under the first session tab.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no codes under related faults
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

When it goes into limp you cannot go past 1500 rpms and 15 mph? Did you try using the manual side of the shifter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does just as the repair manual says limp modes does l, it goes in reverse does go 1500 rpm in any gear even maual, and I don't know why the engine fault light doesn't come on
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok I see there are no faults stored in any of the powertrain or chassis modules. This is very strange unless there is a mechanical failure in the transmission. I recommend we check the fluid level and condition. Also check to make sure all the tires are the same size.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will check fluid level, and all tires are the same, but it all started happening one of my back light went out, then another then this started happening, I change them and everything is fine also change the brake light switch.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thats interesting as maybe something is backfeeding the circuit. Definitely check the fluid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The transmission had never acted funny or made any strange sounds, I did get a engine malfunction light before but it flashed an never could get it. to come back, no fault codes store or anything and my car has been Goin in limp mode for about 2 1/2 months
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Just trying to see what can be causing the issue with no faults. That is why I was leaning towards mis matched tires and the traction control kicking in or a transmission mechanical failure. Lets also try disconnecting the battery if you have not already done so as this will reset the throttle adaptions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already disconnect the battery an changed the cables. I have look at most of the stuff on the datalogger and seems fine
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Look at the mass air flow signal, pedal position sensor, trottle sensor and all wheel speed sensors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Change out pedal, throttle signal are good til It goes into limp mode and limits throttle opening, wheel speed sensors, and transmission speed sensor are reading correctly, mass air flow sensor is fine, although I saw today the maf temperature sensor parts sometime will stop reading idk if it the car or the ids software fault but when I turn the datalogger to stop then play it starts reading again. Also sometime the voltage goes as high as 14.9 to ecu idk if that normal as sometime it sticks to 13.1, and the transmission ecu is always a little lower voltage for instance if the ecu if 14.9 the tcm is 14.5
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

What is the mass air flow sensor reading? What does the pedal sensors read when the problem occurs? Also check the fuel rail pressure sensor reading.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Look at these transmission pressure readings they are too high although the manual says in limp modes they are high but these reading stay high at all time 3 out of the 6 pressure readings
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maf 17g/s it's voltage 1.98, fuel rail pressure 46 psi to 55 psi I will send a pic of when it happen and after the readings I also think it might be a mechanical limp mode, it only goes 10 mph and 1000 rpm change alil from the throttle induce limp mode
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is when the speed dips
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I was wondering if we have clogged cats. Once the problem occurs does it go right out of limp mode if you cycle the igniton or do you have to let the car cool? Also what happens if you down shift to 2 and press the throttle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This limp mode always come on, if I do the downshift thing, it goes away what once I reach the 2500 rpm it kicks back in, never misses
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about the pic of the transmission pressure solenoids I send the ids say it should be between 50 and 450 , 3 are reading in the 50s and the other 3 are between 600 and 800