Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I own a 2005 Jaguar XJ-L. The car has 62000 miles on it. It

Customer Question

I own a 2005 Jaguar XJ-L. The car has 62000 miles on it. It is equipped with an "air-ride" system. This morning I noticed that the car is sitting very low, the top of the tire hidden in the wheel-well. I started the car, and with the engine running the car "lifted" itself to the proper height, but soon after, lowered back to the low position. It seems that the compressor raises the car, but then goes back down. (air leak, maybe). Last year the same thing happened. Took the car to the Jaguar dealer, they kept it for 4 days, could not find anything wrong since the car stayed in the "up" position, and I did not have further problems all summer till yesterday. The diagnosis from Jaguar: Jaguars do this when the weather is cold and freezing. I live in Houston, TX however yesterday we had a "cold" spell coming through and the problem reoccurred. What's your advice?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Did the air suspension fault or vehicle too low warning come on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think that I have a vehicle low light on my dashboard.....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just went outside to check on that low light, could not find it but started the engine and the car raised up to it's normal height.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just checked again and the car stays at it's normal height. Did not hear any air leaks at the driver's side front fender.
Since we're going into the winter, I'm afraid that this may happen again.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

OK we usually do see these vehicles lower some in the cold weather. It does sound like we may have a leak. After the vehicle sits start it and listen for a hiss or air noise in each wheel well to see if we can pinpoint a possible leak. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just drove the car about 4 miles, no problem. Parked the car in the driveway, car at full height. No Problem. Checked after half hour to see if the car had lowered. Still at full height. No problem.
I don't trust a car that "fixes" itself. Could there be moisture in the system? The temp only reached 32 degrees yesterday.
Will call again if the problem continues.
Signing off for now.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Lets have it sit overnight and check it in the morning.