Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I have a 1999 Jaquar XK8 convertible. The doors do not lock

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Jaquar XK8 convertible. The doors do not lock with remote. However I hear the chip under the hood. Also the doors do not lock when put in drive. I have to lock each one manually.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

If you move the handle on the driver side will the passenger side lock or unlock? If you hold the key in the driver side door lock cylinder will it global open or close meaning the windows will raise or lower?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Passengers side will not lock. If I use the key in the driver's side door lock I can lower the windows and lower the top by holding the key clockwise.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I manually lock the driver's side, the passenger side does nothing. I can lock both doors manually, but from the driver's side I can make nothing happen on the passenger side. I can lock the driver's side with the key but passenger side stays unlocked. Remote will not lock or unlock doors, but I hear a chirp when I try. And I think it sets security.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

OK can I have the last six digits of your VIN?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
034962
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

There is a door locking relay which is a 5 pin change over relay that controls both the locking and unlocking. The relay may be faulty or the fuse may be blown. Please check fuse #2 (10 amp) in the passenger side dash fuse box. Pop the cover off the side of the dash and make sure the fuse is not blown. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuse checks good.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

OK do you have voltage to both sides of the fuse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check each side to ground?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Your black lead of your.meter to ground and place the positive lead to the top exposed terminal of both sides of that fuse. We should read 12 volts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Give me a minute. Thx
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

OK no problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 12 VOLTS on one side. The left side facing the fuse box. #2 10 red fuse
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Yes we should have 12 volts on both legs of the fuse. If not the fuse is blown. It is a 10 amp read. The fuse box is numbered but it is hard to see. With the door all the way opened use a flashlight to see the numbers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With fuse removed I have continuity across the fuse. Checks good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuse link is solid. No sign of break.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

OK good. The relay may be bad. There are two small micro relays in that box. Remove the 5 pin relay to make sure the connections are clean. We cannot swap it out since the other relay is only a four pin. With the relay removed we should have power to two pins and ground on one pin. You can take the relay to your local parts store to see if they have one you can use for a test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see one Brown 4 pin relay. Cannot see any other obvious relay. Just fuses. This relay is located upper left of box.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

The relays should be right next to the fuse box. There should be two small black relays.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. It looks like they have a black plastic cover over them. Do I just pry or snap off?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

They should slide out of the socket but you may have to use a small tool to disengage the lock tab on the side.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Giving it a try.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope the plastic black cover next to the fuse box covered a small circuit board. Do not see any signs of relays in the passengers side fascia fuse box area.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I just tried to use the remote to lock the doors. A chirpping sound. When I went to open trunk with key the alarm went off as it should. That part is working. Just cannot find relays and book says it is violet in color. There is no room in the fascio fuse box areas for relays except for the brown relay which there is one on both the driver's and passenger sides. Can it be under the hood?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Let me see if I can locate a diagram.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Vehicle Care Manual that came with the car states that there should be "Two "violet relays" behind the fascia on the right-hand side as viewed from the drivers seat". I looked everywhere I can see and I see nothing violet in color on either side of the car.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One of the two violet relays is for the "door lock" and the other for "air conditioning isolate".
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is correct.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nowhere to be seen and no room next to the fuse block.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The brown module behind the passenger side fiasco, that looks like a relay, has four pins labeled 1, 2, 3, and 5 (five). Behind the fiasco on the drivers side there is an identical brown module label the same way for the four pins..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard, I have to run an errand that may take me an hour or so. Had to leave as I know you will locate the problem, but I will have my Internet capabilities with me, so just leave me some homework to do and I will take care of later. Appreciate all your efforts and let me know if we can pick up later. Thanks, Don.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard,I am back....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any luck on the drawings?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

This should help.

Click on the link.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great! Now where are those two relays located in relation to the fuse block? Are they under the dash? With the fiasco cover removed that exposes the fuse block I do not see them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I may have found the relays behind a "kick panel" by the passengers right foot area, which is down under the fuse block panel.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Yes I just looked at a vehicle this morning and that is where they are.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Richard. On the job, will get to it later. Will follow-up as to how I make out.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard,
I finally got a chance to remove the passenger side kick panel and all I see are connectors. In your diagram you sent me, just where is the lower portion of the diagram located. Does the glove box have to be removed? For the life of me I cannot relate to the lower diagram showing #2 and #3 relays. HELP! Thanks...Don
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard. Cannot locate door lock relay. Not behind kick panel.