Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I've just bought a proscan ODB2 fault code scanner 2000 xk8

Customer Question

Hi, I've just bought a proscan ODB2 fault code scanner for my 2000 xk8 Jaguar. It does not have it'sown battery but does light up when plugged in but does not link to the car electronics. Anyideas?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

What brand and model scan tool? Does it say it cannot communicate with the vehicle ECM?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Proscan odb/eobd scan v580. it does not say 'link not made' as it does with my truck (which I knew it would) but the graph bar does not move across the screen as it did on my wifes car
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

OK I have never used that specific tool but it does sound like it may not be compatible with your vehicle. The other possibility is the serial link wire from the data link connector to the ECM is open or shorted. I recommend we try another OBD II tool to confirm that it will also not link to the ECM. Most major parts stores should have one. Other than the factory equipment I have used tools made by Autel and Launch which communicated to the vehicle. Let me know.