Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I have a 1998 jaguar vanden plas the car was sitting months

Customer Question

I have a 1998 jaguar vanden plas the car was sitting for 8 months while i was deployed overseas. I was driving it today and as soon as I hit 2500 rpm it doesn't want to go any higher there was a cel for a misfire and I changed the spark plugs and it went away, I also changed the fuel filter, it still won't go past 2500rpm do you have a clue on what it could be or what I could do since there is no check engine light or warning light? I can work on cars myself it's just I gotta know what the problem is first then I can go from there
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Does the engine still have a misfire? What was the code number you were getting previously?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it doesn't seem to have a misfire anymore. The codes were P0305, P1314, P1316
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

OK thanks. I wonder if we have a bad coil on cylinder 5. That is the first front coil on the driver side. Make sure we have no oil getting onto the coil boot. I then recommend we disconnect the negative battery terminal cable for about 30 minutes to reset the ECM. Then take it for a drive in sport mode and see if it will accelerate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea I didn't have any oil on the coil boot and I cleaned them all out but reset the ECM for 30 minutes I'll let you know if that fixes the issue and would there be a issue with fuel pressure like the correct opperating psi range? Or would it be a transmission issue? I'll let you know if that fixed it in 30 minutes thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Figure we should see about 35 psi. Could be a transmission issue which is why I recommend sport mode. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok that made it go to 3500rpm but if you are in like 4th or fifth and gun it to go around someone where it is suppose to drop down a gear it hesitates then jumps to 4500 with no power then it drops down a gear
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not making any noises besides the engine revs, no clunking or anything out of the ordinary
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

OK still may be a transmission problem. First check the throttle cable to.make sure it is not stretched. Then also check the intake air rubes to make sure they are not leaking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way to tighten the main plastic tubing on the throttle body like the circular intake pipe that goes on top of the throttle body? It seems loose. And for transmission would it be a shift solenoid, or something
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

You may be able to get slight movement from the pipe as there is a rubber seal that should be on the throttle. That pipe is held in by the two 8mm bolts. For the transmission it could be electrical but usually if a solenoid or regulator was bad you would get a gear box fault warning. We should check the fluid level and condition. Since there is no dipstick this is not easily done. There is a fill/level check plug that needs to be removed with the fluid warmed to temp, engine running and vehicle on a level surface or lift. Once fluid flows out it is full.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
basically do a trans fluid change? Any recommendations on fluid ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's at 170k now the last guy did it at 130-140k
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I would at least check the level and condition.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok how do I check it what plug do I take out to check it the 30mm one or the other one like half way up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what am I looking for
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It is the 8mm allen/hex fill plug on the side of the case. We are looking for a steady small stream of fluid with the engine running, fluid warmed and vehicle level. We are looking to see if it is full and not burnt or having debris.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok sorry it took so long for the reply I did the filter change and trans fluid change it was a brownish gold no metal particles or anything on the magnets or in fluid. I've had no check engine lights at all, but it won't go past 2k Rpms sometimes 3500 rpms while in park I can go to redline it seams to buck at 2k-3k rpm while accelerating doesn't matter if I'm in sport mode or regular
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Does it accelerate if you use the manual side of the shifter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haven't tried it yet I will on my way to work and let you know what it does
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

OK. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
works fine when manual shifting
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

On then this could either be a problem with the transmission control module or the transmission itself. Unfortunately it will be difficult to diagnose without a Jag factory tool to read the TCM.