Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

2007 XK build date 06/06 converible top not working

Customer Question

Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Can I have the last six of your VIN? Do the quarter windows raise and lower with the switch? Does it say convertible top not latched on the message center?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard I'm glad to here from you first I want to apologize to you i did not realize how important the survery are I will make sure from now on vin# ***** no the quarter do not work

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok since they are not working then we could have a problem with the switch itself but since you are hearing a click it is more likely the convertible top module. We can try disconnecting the negative battery cable for about an hour to see if it will reset. After reconnecting the battery you will need to reset the front windows before trying the top. To do this have the engine running and all doors closed. Lower both front windows using the driver door switches then hold the switches down for about 3 seconds. Then raise both front windows and press and hold the switches up for about three seconds. Make sure the auto down and up are working. If they are then try the top/quarter windows. If they still are not working we should check fuse #8 (5 amp) and #30 and 32 both 40 amp in the aux fuse box located bhind the middle rear seat back. If the fuses are good then sometimes actually disconnecting the module or taking both battery cables off and holding them together will reset it. The top module is behind the passenger rear seat back, roll over protection device and fuse box so there will be some disassembly to access it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

good nite been a long day will let you know more torrow thanks for your help what time do you get started it ?????

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I will be in and out tomorrow but just reply back when you can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

we did all the things u suggested no respnse from the top are thair micro switches somewhere to start the sequence where should i look next?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

There are micro switches but since those quarter windows will not lower or raise that is independent from the top. Also since we are not getting a convertible top not latched warning the switches are most likely not the problem. Also make sure it does not say luggage separator out of position when pressing the top down switch. Again the windows should raise and lower with one touch operation of the switch so since that is still not working it is usually a switch or module failure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

good moring Richard what is your day like today

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

with the top down manually the cover wont lock when i press the up butten you can hear a relay click and the sound of a motor runing

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Yes that cover will not manually lock since it is hydraulic. It really sounds like the module is the problem. If we still have access to the Jag factory tool or equivalent we can see if the module is responding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok will do how long will you be on line

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Maybe for another hour or so then not until this evening.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

trying to get in to mod at this time what time r u leaving ? its 9;30 here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

trying to get in to mod at this time what time r u leaving ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I'll be online for another half hour.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

u back yet

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Back for a little while.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi Richard today is Monday what time will you be online tuesday monring so we can get back on this jag

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I should be online throughout the morning. Just reply back when ready.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

good monring Richard you up

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Yes I am online.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

good we are going back over our notes

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

we are trying to get in the module with our new snap on scanner at one time with scaner atached rear hatch moved and somthing released on the top codes u0142 u0155 u0156 uo164 u0206 the car will not start unless key in the slot in center console no responce door locks from remote dash indicates bonett is not latched but it is!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

good we are going back over our notes the cods we have are U0142
U0155 U0156 U064 U0206 when the snapon scaner was pluged in the back hatch moved and somthing moved on the top thair is on responce from remote to lock or un lock doors the car will not start unless the key is in the slot center consol dash reads bonett is not latched dut is dash also reads key not found

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

So right now the remote is not working and the vehicle will not start passively?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello

you there

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Not sure if a post got deleted. It looks like we had a top problem and now the engine will not start and the remotes do not work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

good monirng Richard I forgot to tell you we put a new battery in this car and did not drive it after that plus the car was tow in after sitting for a long time so i am going clear the codes than drive it and let you know what we fonud out after that

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok sounds good

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

good monring u up

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I am.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

(i see this alot what does D S C system fault mean but it is not on this jag ) back to the one I'm working on after clearing codes and clearing all the memory out of the system than i drove it on the street and on the e-way and these are the codes i got remember we are dealing with the top not coming up PO500,U2023,U0100,P0603,U0122,C0063,U3003,it has a new battery,B0001,B0002,B1A00,B00D2,B1009,B10F4,B100A,B1112,B1115,B1118,B1119,B2A90,B2A91,U0140U0155,U0164,U0206,U0214,U2012,B1164,U2012,C1782,C1D15,B1318,U0100U0121,U0415,U0422,B1B74,B1B75,B1B76,B1B77,B1B78,U0140,U0142,U0155,U0156,U3000,PO635,B1009,B100A,B1B01 iB1B33,U0103,U0127,U0140,U0142,U0200,U026,U0208,U0214,U0140,C1A57,C1A56,C1A58,C1A60,U0142,C1D18,U0424,U0416 ok thats all of them

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

The DSC fault is the reaction fault. Look in the abs module to see what codes are stored. Then clear them again and see what returns.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay how far should i drive it

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

About 10 miles. Make sure the codes are all cleared before you drive it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i drove it no codes came back i can hear the relay come on & i can hear the pump working also but the top still is not coming up

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

good monring Richard

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Could very well just be a weak pump. Make sure the manual release valve is tightened all the way and not stripped.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

please explane to me step by step how to hard reset the top modgule it seams to be out of cync

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Can you manually raise and fully latch the top. If not look closely at the hooks on the linkage at the front section to make sure they are engaging properly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes we can manually raise the top and also the top will work with the botton now and the quarter windows will come up & back down but the top will not go back down with the botton (I truly belive the top & windows is out of sync with each other )

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

When the top is fully closed do you see a convertible top not latched warning? DO the quarter windows lower with the top switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard U Awake no it does not -------- yes they do but not all the time ----and they are out of sync meaning 1 comes up before the other one does in the open pision i pushed the up button top came up locked in place front windows went up back windows came up then buzzer sounded then i pushed the down butten back windows went down then a relay clicked back seat and nothing else hapend

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Does the front latch disengage? The front of it is electronic and the pistons are hydraulic?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no the front latch will not disengage we have to do it by hand to unlock it after using the information that you have provided to us we truly believe that the system is out of sync what steps can we take to put it back in sync

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

The way to sync it is to lower it manually then it should reset. The top module activates that front latch motor so the module may also be the problem. Make sure all the fuses are good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i got nervous i did not hear from you yes all the fues r good and we have lower the top down manually several times one thing that we have noticed each time we use the switch to comes back up something different happens ( like the quater window will not work or the side window will not go down ) that why we where saying it was out of syc is there any test to see if the module is bad

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately only the Jag factory tool is needed to test the module.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

where is this module loiton at

and when we get another top module will it need to be program

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

The module is behind the passenger rear seat back, roll over protection device and fuse box so there will be some disassembly to access it. Yes it will need to be programmed but the top should wok before it is programmed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so what r u saying is that a used one can work before it is program

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Honestly I have never installed a used one to know for sure but yes it should work without programming.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard thanks for your help do not close out yet will let you know how this turns out one more thing i forgot to tell you about the owner of this car he had a bad battery so he would use a jump box to start his car
everytime is this where the problem started

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Yes batteries do cause a lot of issues on these vehicles.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do you think the jump box damage the top module

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It is a possibility as a voltage spike can damage modules.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thats the same thing i was thinking thanks again remember do not close out we will let you know what we find out

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

one more thing where did you say it was at

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Remove the rear seat back, roll over protection device and it is behind there. I will send over a diagram.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok waiting to see it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok waiting to see it is there anything that we need to beaware of before we remove this roll over protection device

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

The roll over protection device is part of the air bag system so the battery will need to be disconnected and you should wait at least 10 minutes before working on it. Click on the link.