Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I have a 2007 Jaguar Xtype. It started limping badly and

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Jaguar Xtype. It started limping badly and dash light came on. I plugged up my small computer checker and it says "Gear Box" . Any idea of what the problem might be.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

It could be a number of faults like an electrical malfunction such as the transmission control module or electronic throttle. If you had the problem after some wet weather or after a car wash then water may be leaking into the TCM. To be sure we will need to have the vehicle scanned for the stored fault codes. A Jag factory tool is needed to do this but we can try again using a generic OBD II scan tool to see if we can read the codes. In the mean time we should also check the battery and cable connections to make sure all are clean and secure as well as the throttle body connector. I do not recommend we disconnect anythign until we get the vehicle scanned. Let me know.