Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I am looking at a post from4 years ago on a 2005 xk8 jag.

Customer Question

Hi Richard, I am looking at a post from4 years ago on a 2005 xk8 jag. Mine is a 2006 and is doing exactly the same thing. Was there a solution found on the last one?? Tom
PS this is intermittent no crank, no start with J gate not illuminated in park
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

So the engine will not crank, the shifter is not illuminated and it will not move out of park with the ignition on and foot on the brake? Any warning lights or messages on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard, it will move out of park with foot on brake-that is not part of the problem. My problem is the same as the one I referenced to you before that was sent to you 4 years ago. : as follows:" Dear Sir,I have a 2005 ( mine is 2006)Jaguar XK8 convertible with 56000 miles( mine is 71,000.).
The problem I am having occurs approximately once every 2 weeks. What happens is as follows:The car will not start at all (not turn over, and no ignition) and displays the following error messages on the message centre:DSC system failure
Cruise not available
Low brake fluid
Restricted performance
Gear box faultUsually, after about an hour I can start the car in restricted performance mode.If I then restart the car again, it starts in normal mode but with the Engine Warning light lit up in amber.The next day the car usually starts normally with the engine warning light no longer on."On mine , after a couple of starts the check engine light goes out completly, no message codes and no restricted performance. Runs great. Then it all starts over again for no apparent reason. I hate to even reference the message center codes as I think the computor is "tricked" by the no start condition and just throws those codes out till it realizes there are really no problems.(perhaps called a run cycle?)
Please advise Tom Gordon
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Have you ever had the vehicle scanned for the stored fault codes? When you say no ignition meaning the engine will not crank at all but the vehicle will power up normally and all accessories come on? Do you have a digital multimeter we can use to perform testing? Did you check the power cable I described in that post you saw?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard, I only have an independant mechanic nearby. He scanned with Autologic that will apparently do body codes as well as engine codes. He saw nothing in history that would help with this problem. The vehicle does power up and all dash lights come on. Everything "looks" normal as if it might turn over and start except that the "P" is not illuminated. If you see the "P" is illuminated it starts normally. Actually I did not check that power cable-- can you tell me exactly where it is. I will check it asap. Yes I do have a multimeter and would appreciate your advise as to what to check out.
Thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It looks like we have a network problem possibly with the ABS module or TCM. We need to be able to read all powertrain, chassis and body modules. There should be faults stored. This cable runs along the passenger side of the console. Sometimes you can reach up in the corner to disengage the carpet plastic fir tree fastener and pull down the caret to see this. Without the risk of tearing the carpet remove the console and you will see this connections.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard, I will check that cable connection and get back to you. The closest dealer is 300 miles away .Are there companies like autologic that make a reader that will do the entire car. If so how would I go about locating an independant shop with such equipment. I have been looking into magnetic valve solenoids within the transmission mechatronics unit. One of these may be responsible for sending the signal to the TCM for PARK position and can be "messed" with by filings from within the transmission.?? Please recall the first inquiry you received for 2005 xk8 (which problem was just like mine) had been to a dealer and they found no fault codes.?? If you have a "sender"(switch) and a "receiver", (in this case a TCM) and a signal is sent but not received by the TCM, then perhaps you get a code. BUT, if a signal is "supposed" to be sent but has not done so due to faulty switch, how would the computer "know" to put out a code.?? Please advise, I will check that connection and get back to you in the morning. Thanks, Tom
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Usually when these transmission fail it is electronic within the TCM. Usually if it was a communication fault there will be a code stored. Yes autologic and Launch should make tools that can communicate with all the modules but they are costly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi Richard, Give ma a couple of days, ! want to check the + connection you told me about, as well as grounds and anything else I can find. Also I am replacing the micro switch at the shift gate(Park position). I am hoping that if all that does not do the trick, you can with that increased info give me better suggestions than take it to a dealer and read the codes. As I have said the closest dealer or even one with autologic that I know of is 300 miles away. I did talk to someone that had some experience with the code "history" reading of a car. Apparently history goes back till when someone deleated the codes. There could be history of multiple issues that don't even exist anymore and no "timeline" to what was most recent. Also said many connection issues don't get read and much of the codes are "vague" at best. Said read em it if you can, but it is not the end all, cure all. Back to you later, Thanks tom
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok let me know how you make out.