Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I have a 04 Jaguar xj8, can't get the comp component

Customer Question

I have a 04 Jaguar xj8, can’t get the comp component complete or ready.
I’ve read that this monitor is on of the three continuous monitors along with fuel system and misfire monitors.
My question is this: If there something wrong that this monitor shows incomplete when all of the others show complete or ready.
The reference in the name “continuous monitor” makes me believe it should be immediately ready and complete without any problem.
If my thought is correct, then what could cause this issue?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Are all the non continuous monitors like evap, O2, cat and EGR are all set to ready?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks. ***** have the last six of your VIN?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
G19679
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks. There was a recall for an ECM software so I want to see if that has been completed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I will reply back as soon as I do this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Tom
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. The recall for the reprogram of the ECM has been completed however there is an open recall on brake pipes so if you have not gotten that inspected at the dealer you should.

The way the comprehensive component monitor works on this vehicle is it is a continuous monitor but the ECM needs to complete every drive cycle for every fault code in the system making it difficult to complete. Since this is a continuous monitor you cannot pass a state inspection. First we will need to make sure we do not have any pending fault codes. Some generic OBD II can read these but if not then we need the Jag scan tool. Then we also need to confirm that the ECM software is up to date. Jag can do this at the same time the recall is being done but unfortunately they will usually charge a labor diagnostic fee. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks RichardI'll get that done.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok sounds good. Let me know.