Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

2002 Jaguar XJR - Had drivers exterior door handle replaced,

Customer Question

2002 Jaguar XJR - Had drivers exterior door handle replaced, the window kept going down as we tried to remove it we rolled it up using the door key and disconnected the battery. After replacing handle and reconnecting everything we reconnected the negative battery cable and the alarm went off. I don't have a functioning remote for this car and the alarm would not shut off using the key in the door lock, I inserted the key into the ignition and the car started shutting off the alarm. Reinstalled the door panel and switch pack and nothing on that door works, windows mirrors nothing. The other door window switches do work. Also nothing works when using key in the door lock apart from the central locking. It normally will roll windows up or down and engage and disengage the alarm system but now nothing. I have a Jaguar specific scanner and read the following codes P1638, P1642, P1797, P1260 and B1797
How do I fix?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like we may have a problem with the driver door module behind the panel in the door or possibly a wire harness issue as sometimes the wiring will break in the harness loom going from the door to the body. Remove that door panel and remove the screws securing the module. Disconnect it and make sure all the connections are clean and secure. Leave it disconnected to reset the module. With it disconnected go to the blue connector and make sure we have battery voltage present on pin 1 brown/red and ground on pin 17 black wire. We should check this with a digital multimeter but we can use light to make sure current is present.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the Jaguar Forums there are a lot of people that replace this door handle and experienced the same problem but no fixes for it was listed apart from doing the reset taking off the negative cable. I replaced the module with one from another jag that worked, with no luck, I didn't think to test mine on the friends jag. So if we have power to the pins could it be a security issue with the theft detected thing?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Make sure these modules have the same part number and programming suffix. This is located on the white VCATS label in the trunk. You are looking for the numbers to match in the DDM on the white label. It could be security but if we just look at the power mirror functions this is solely done using the switch which is wired to the module which controls the driver mirror. Definitely check power and ground to the module and please leave it disconnected. In some cases disconnect it over night if possible and please confirm battery voltage and ground is present. If we do not have voltage or ground at those wires we can jump power or ground to see if the functions start to work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check all this tomorrow, thank you
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok sounds good. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Using a Digital Multimeter I tested the wiring at the pins you said and there is power. I left the module disconnected for a hour. I checked the VCATS and both door modules are the correct part numbers. I forgot to mention that when the drivers door is open the digital dash display says PASSENGER DOOR OPEN not DRIVERS DOOR OPEN, again this seems to be common with the others on Jaguar Forums that have experienced the same problem after changing the door handle. What next?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok disconnect both driver and passenger door modules and the BPM. The BPM is located behind the glove box. The connector is facing down and you will need to losen the 10mm bolt to disconnect it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I was to leave the battery disconnected overnight for 12 hours would this not accomplish the same thing?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It would but when strange electrical faults occur like this I always recommend disconnecting the modules as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. One other thing, the DTC P1260 Security input/Theft detected, vehicle immobilized / Theft detected - engine disabled - I cleared this code yesterday and it has returned today. The engine is not disabled but this is obviously the cause of my problems.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

As long as the engine is starting then we really do not need to worry about that code. Usually that is caused by the reader coil around the ignition lock cylinder but it would cause the engine not to crank.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unplugged door modules and the BPM left them over night 14 hours, reconnected everything and no change.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok lets put your original door module in the good vehicle to see if it works.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both door modules were ok. I finally broke down and took it to the expensive Jag repair shop. After 3 hours checking everything possible there was no joy. The last thing he could think of doing was to flash the ECU. After entering the flash program on the Autologic it prompted him to stop due to engine tempature, it needed to be between 30 and 50c. By this time I had no more time and the Autologic said to disconnect the negative battery cable for 10 minutes before trying to start the car basically do a reset which I had already done numerous times. Once we had completed this we discovered everything was back to normal and working perfectly. So we have no idea how this happened but it is working.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

That is strange since we had already performed the reset. MAybe there was a poor connection with the door module as well.