Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

2009 jaguar xj vanden plas. The coolent has been fixed four

Customer Question

2009 jaguar xj vanden plas. The coolent has been fixed four times. Now the car stays on to cool down for 10 to 20 minutes after driving. Is that right? will this cause additional problems? the car has 50,000 miles approx.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

So the engine cooling fans are staying on after the engine is turned off? What was done to the cooling system? What is the temperature in your area?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been in the 80's and 90's. I have had all the hoses changed and I guess its the coolant box. The engine light has come on previously for this issue several times so they have done quite a bit of work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My concern is that they told me that the engine should not stay on to cool the car that that is a problem. Now they are telling me it is perfectly ok for the car to stay on after driving. I am just wondering which is correct.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last time, about one month ago they had my car for over 3 weeks.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Yes in that temperature with the a/c on it is not out of the norm for the fans to come on and stay on for a few minutes after the engine is shut down. The is also true if the ECM has been reprogrammed recently. However if the fans are coming on even after short trips with the a/c off or not on very low then this could be an indication of a faulty with the thermostat or inside the thermostat housing.