Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

While trying to start the car it turns over but wont catch,

Customer Question

While trying to start the car it turns over but wont catch, the traction control and ABS warning are showing on the dash. This started Sunday so I disconnected the battery Monday for 5 hrs. I think I reset the fuel safety switch as I felt a click when I pushed on it. Car ran great no warnings for 2 hrs started and stopped a couple of times. The I went in to a store came out tried to start the car. Rough idle no power and stalled. tried 3 times before getting a tow truck and bringing it home.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Is the engine cranking normally but not starting or is it cranking different than normal? Was the car sitting unused for an extended period of time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car is cranking normal. It was in the garage for about a month thats all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see an answer did you send it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am hoping you have more for me than just another question
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok I wonder if we have a problem with the in tank fuel pump. Since the engine is cranking normally but not starting we should try spraying some carb cleaner into the air intake while an assistant cranks the engine to see if it will start and run on the spray. If so then we have a fuel delivery problem like a bad pump. We should also check fuse #7 in the trunk fuse box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fuse is ok. what about carb cleaner this is a supercharger car, will it hurt it?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Just a small amount of carb or throttle cleaner should not hurt anything.