Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

2011 XF Supercharged Seatback cooling does not provide

Customer Question

2011 XF Supercharged
Seatback cooling does not provide cooling except for a very few minutes. Fan noise indicates Seatback fan is functioning but no noticeable air from seatback. Many visits to Jag and no improvement. Web shows many others is similar issues but not aware of fix. Seat cools very well.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

Ok, I need the 17 digit vin number to pull up correct schematics. What has the dealer done so far to try to correct the issue so far

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric,
Thank you for a prompt interest.
VIN is --> SAJWAOHEIBMR84330
The seatback cooling is the only issue I have with the Jag. Fyi, my recollection is that seatback heat is functional but I am not sure (it is also possible that heat is "resistance").
I have griped the seatback cooling many times. The response out of the first few visits was "cooling is working". I suspect that they simply verified that the seatback fan was working properly. Note that I have also provided that the system seemed initially to work but after 20 to 25 minutes there was no longer any (like zero) indication of operation other than fan noise.
In my second to last visit, the mechanic verified by temperature measurement that cooling was not being provided (I prearranged an exact time for the shop visit and ran the system for 30 minutes prior). It was assumed the unit was not operating and it was replaced. The replacement did not improve the extended performance.
I began to suspect that there was an air flow issue. I wanted to fully understand the air delivery and air exhaust from the unit. I believe there are a number of possible air issues: (1) air delivery to the unit is blocked, (2) air delivery from the unit to the seatback is blocked, and (3) warm air exhaust by the unit loops to source air to the unit so as to elevate the source air to the warm side of the unit so as to render heat exchange to zero.
So that you may understand my level of knowledge, I am including a file I drafted to facilitate a proper analysis of my seatback cooling issue.
Regards,
XXXXXX
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Well, I can pull up every seat function but the cooling. For some reason Jag hasnt published this yet. I will have to opt and see if another expert has some access to it. sorry about that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Noted. Fyi, no one seems to know precisely how the seatback unit gets its input air and no one seems to know where the unit exhausts the warm-side air.Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry -- more. Documentation evidences only a single air filter. One of my questions has been if there is only a single filter what is the pathway to the seatback unit? By the way, I demonstrated to the mechanic that there was no negative pressure at the under seat filter when operation was seatback only (simply placed very light film over filter -- film fell away -- thus no air in at that location).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric,
Just let me know if my issue is still active.
Thanks,
xxxx xxxx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric,
I am confused as to whether my issue is still active. A quick let me know please.Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric,
I still do not have a response on my issue. Last I heard you were getting another mech in the loop. I am planning a visit to my local Jag soon --- sure would appreciate some feedback.Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope you will reinvigorate my issue. I have raised the issue of seatback cooling to Jag many times. They say it is working but it is not (just not any cooling after 20 minutes or so). I am an engineer. I have raised engineering questions to Jag many times. By recently checking the web I found that others have had my same experience while yet others report substantial seatback cooling.Very clearly, some aspects of the seatback cooling are functional (there is evidence of cooling for a short time). I would like to understand how repairs (to similar to my issue) have been satisfactorily accomplished. I very strongly suspect that there is not a proper flow of input air to the cooling unit in my car’s seatback. My conclusion is that there are two possible causes. There may be an obstruction of air source to the seatback unit. Another possibility is that the ducting to the unit is simply not connected and this results in looping (within the seatback) of unit warm air exhaust to the unit’s input air.I have confirmed that there is not negative pressure at the under seat filter (very simply by placing light film to filter while seatback unit is operating). This means that the under seat filter is not sourcing air to the seatback unit. This is not an issue if one presumes that there is an alternative air source to the seatback unit. However, Jag mechs have been unable to provide me with precisely how air is otherwise sourced to the seatback cooling unit. I need some specifics on the design or the repairs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
More info for the new mech from Mike --- many times, I have asked the Jag shop to confirm that there is proper source air flow to the seatback conditioning unit. They don't seem to understand. In their view, if the fan is working in the unit there is proper air flow to the unit. I do not believe this (fan operation) is adequate to assure proper air flow the unit. Ducting may be obstructed or simply not interconnected. Obviously if ducting is obstructed this would be a serious impediment to proper air flow. If ducting is not interconnected to outside the seat air source, this will result in looping of exhaust warm side air to eventually (by my measure within 20 minutes) warming the input air to the unit to the point the cooling function is disabled.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please provide me with some indication that my question is alive or whether it has been terminated.