Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I am trying to troubleshoot a 2004 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 (North

Customer Question

Hello! I am trying to troubleshoot a 2004 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 (North America). It is giving intermittent p0193 - fuel pressure too high. Driving symptoms are hesitation under load - as when marging onto the freeway or passing. When the engine is warm, the hesitation can even come with a slight push of the accelerator. The hesitation is severe enough that the car loses speed and becomes a hazard. After an indeterminate amount of time, the problem goes away and the car runs just fine. It can run fine for up to 20-30 miles sometimes.
When I first got the code, the car had been to a shop for a coolant flush and fill. I have since had the intake manifold off to replace the spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, and fuel pressure sensor. These items helped greatly in how the car felt when running well, but did nothing to stop the p0193. I suspect a wiring problem, but I am not sure where the wires run from this sensor and if the coolant flush may have done something to help the problem
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

So right now the hesitation problem has been resolved but we still have the code? Do you have access to a fuel pressure gauge? Does the scan tool used to pull the code read pids or live data?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the hesitation issue has not been resolved. After the replacement of plugs, valve cover gaskets (while I was in there...and one was leaking), and replacement of the fuel pressure sensor (with a genuine Jaguar part) the issue persists. The car is basically undrivable. My scan tool does not give live read outs of the fuel pressure, but does have options for other items.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok first we really would need to check fuel.pressure with a gauge and an adapter. We then need to monitor the long and short term fuel trims as well as the mass air flow sensor to see what it reads. Trims should be between -5 to +5 and the mass air should be about 5 grams at idle. Let me know.