Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

THE GEAR SELECTOR IN MY 2000 S-TYPE DOES NOT WANT TO MOVE

Customer Question

THE GEAR SELECTOR IN MY 2000 S-TYPE DOES NOT WANT TO MOVE OUT OF PARK AND WHEN FORCED DOES NOT REGISTER THE DRIVE POSITION BUT DOES SEE THE OTHER FORWARD GEARS AND REVERSE.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

We may have a binding shifter cable causing this. What we need to do is remove the cable off the shifter or the transmission and see if it moves freely. If not then we should replace it. Also if the problem started after parking on an incline then the internal park lock mechanism will need to be replaced. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IM PRETTY SURE ITS NOT A CABLE ISSUE BECAUSE THE PROBLEM OCURRS DUE TO THE INCLINE. I ALREADY SAW THIS ANSWER FOR FREE ON A GOOGLE SITE. WHAT I NEED IS A DIAGRAM OF THE SHIFTING MECHANISM AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF YOU HAVE EVER PERSONALLY REPLACED A GEAR SHIFT CAM IN MY MAKE AND MODEL
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Yes I have replaced it. We usually will install a new cable when doing this. I will send over the repair info.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know when the additional information will be sent?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Here is the service bulletin.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Here is the one for the cable

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information, however I specifically asked for instructions on replacing the gear shift cam not the transmission park pawl. The gear shift cam is a common upgrade to the shifter for my 2000 s-type and replaces an original plastic version.
Here is a link to a picture and description of the part.
http://www.coventrywest.com/store/jaguar-s-type-gearshift-cam-xr817754.html
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Let me see if I can locate a diagram.