Mike, Diagnostic Technician for 30 years
Experience:  Technican - Business owner and Diagnostics for 34 years +..
9261905

I just bought a 2009 jag XF with 39.6 miles. The digital

Customer Question

I just bought a 2009 jag XF with 39.6 miles. The digital read out has shifted to 6 miles a gallon and ave 10 miles an hour. These numbers fluctuated some over 4 miles last night as I picked it up from the car lot. I turned the car off and restarted and the numbers went to blank then readjusted to very slightly higher numbers. What gives?? Could the miles have been rolled back? Also,....I actually bought it 5 weeks ago and have returned it 6 times after a few minutes of leaving the car lot. Should a 2009 have a saggy headliner, actuator replacement in the driver and fuel door, a key fob replacement and a driver side mirror that fell out and hanging by its cord? Oh, and I returned it last night because the some lights wouldn't come on. Can I assume that's due to the head liner replacement?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hello and Welcome -

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise.

Sorry to hear of the troubles you are having,..

To go through what you have described... Its really hard to say if the mileage would have been rolled back..it can be done very easily by someone with the right equipment..it does happen. As you say, a good way to tell to some degree is to see how the rest of the car looks - is it looking commensurate with its current mileage.. ie - worn steering wheel - worn gear / seletcor knob / surround - worn pedal rubbers and so on..

These cars , some do suffer with saggy headliners..and certainly, they do have known faults where the door actuator needed replacing in both the fuel and drivers doors - there was a Jaguar recall / Tsb on them...so thats not too unusual in themselves. ( Its a good thing its had them done )

Key fobs - well yes, they do wear / break... and the drivers mirror well - , this can happen anytime really - a knock from another vehicle / person etc - As for the lights, again, Im afraid Jags do have these niggles..

So Ive gone through the points you have raised and that is the bot***** *****ne with those Im afraid... As to the rolling back the mileage issue - you can think about the items Ive mentioned - see if you think the wear of such itens betrays that - but it is really hard really to know Im afraid. The one thing you can try is to do a history check on the car- some of these have records of previous mileage - and the DMV .,. Im unsure whether they collate mileages but it may be worth you asking if you are concerned.

As for the mileage readout - these are not that accurate to be honest - but you could have a Jag dealer / specialist who has plug in equipment ( to the cars OBD socket )..to run tests to check on that for you - and re boot / reset the system...

Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..

~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now at this point- Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .

.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --

Best Rgds, MIKE