dr914jr
dr914jr, Technician
Experience:  I am a second generation Porsche technician and restoration specialist.
22612961

I also have a whining noise, not at idle, only when driving

Customer Question

Richard..I also have a whining noise, not at idle, only when driving and pitch gets higher as I accelerate. It is 90 degrees today, so it definitely is not cold related. I just replaced a battery and got my oil changed which they used synthetic based oil. Otherwise, the car runs fine. Can you help?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  dr914jr replied 1 year ago.

Is the sound coming from the engine area? Could it be a squealing belt? Try putting the car in natural and revving the engine. This will isolate the sound to the engine. Then just have someone listen to see if they can pinpoint the sound.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When in idle and neutral, it still makes the whining sound. Doesn't seem like a belt, it does sound like it's from the engine area. After I get up to speed on the interstate it seems to go away, or doesn't seem as loud. It didn't seem to make this noise until I replaced the battery and changed oil the other day. (Both in same day) Not sure if it's a coincidence or not.
Expert:  dr914jr replied 1 year ago.

It is doubtful that the battery is related unless the noise is a failing bearing in the alternator. The only way and oil change would cause a noise would b if not enough were added back in. I'm sure you've checked the oil considering you just changed it. It might be a belt roller or even the power steering pump. It would be a good idea to check the power steering fluid. Your pump will make a nasty noise if it is low.

If that doesn't do it, you'll need to isolate the sound with a stethoscope while the engine idles.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is going to sound stupid, but I can't find the stick to check the transmission fluid or the power steering fluid. :(