Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

My X type Jag trunk won't open. Is there a secret way to

Customer Question

My X type Jag trunk won't open. Is there a secret way to manually open it?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

OK this problem is usually caused by a faulty actuator in the trunk latch. Since there is no manual lock cylinder opening it can be hard. You can continue to press the button at the same time while an assistant pushes down and pulls up on the trunk lid to see if it will catch. The module will time out if you continue to activate the trunk switch so it will no longer energize the latch actuator. You will need to wait a minutes till it start to work again. To bypass this you can jump power at the module connector. Locate the GEM module which is a black module under the passenger side dash. It has 5 color coded connectors. Locate the 23 way green connector and disconnect it by un clipping and pulling the lock lever down. Jump battery power to pin 2 orange wire and the latch should activate. Keep jumping it while your assistant tries to pull the lid open.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

If that does not work then we need to remove the rear seat cushion and remove the bottom bolts on the seat back. Swing the seat up and try to reach the seat back fold releases. You can then pull the emergency release in the trunk.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you needed any further assitance. The question is still open on my end since it has yet to be rated. If you are satisfied please rate with a positive rating so I can receive credit. Thanks.