Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

CATS System Fault and the light are on, my Jaguar authorized

Customer Question

CATS System Fault and the ***** *****ght are on, my Jaguar authorized mechanic can't clear them, How to clear these warnings?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

Did the mechanic say he was able to communicate with the module? If so what were the stored fault codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, he doesn't have a way to communicate with the module. What does he need? Some kind of diagnostic tool to extract the fault code? Is it something all Jaguar authorized mechanic should have? Approximately how much it costs? and, how can he get one?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok yes a diagnostic tool is needed to read and clear the faults in the module so we can check the possible causes. The Jg factory tool will be needed or an equivalent tool that has the capability of communicating with the module. Most tools are costly. The Jag factory tool is known as the IDS or SDD> some tools made by Launch can also communicate with the module.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It appears to be a big request for my mechanic to acquire the tool to take care my car.
Does the warning "CATS System Fault" remains on even all problems are taken cared of? You have to have the tool to reset the module?
Now the car runs fine other than the annoying warning. Any concern if I just stand for the warning?
Does it mean my next step is to bring my car to the dealer's shop?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It depends on tha failure of the system but in most cases the fault codes need to be cleared with the tool.

Yes a compatible scan tool is needed to read and clear the code.

The CATS is the computer control damping on the suspension so you may not notice an issue while driving.

Yes we need to bring it to the dealer or other specialty shop that has the tool.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you needed any further assitance. The question is still open on my end since it has yet to be rated. If you are satisfied please rate with a positive rating so I can receive credit. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, the dealer's mechanic removed the "CATS System Fault". I was expecting you to tell my mechanic how to do but you couldn't because he is poorly equipped. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately shops are limited without the Jag equipment.