Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I also have a 1992 XJ6 with bad rear shocks-(coil spring

Customer Question

I also have a 1992 XJ6 with bad rear shocks-(coil spring struts). I have located a used pair but want to make sure they are use-able. I have found the replacement foam for these struts and the replacement bushings.......what I don't know is whether each unit, is compressed or under load as a unit. Without any special tools will I be able to disassemble the used replacement ones I have and add the new parts I want to use to replace the worn parts, ( foam and bushings) on the replacement set. If I can do that, then the replacements will be easy for my local mechanic to replace...but if dis-assembly and re-assembly needs special tools, then i have to find somebody with the tools to do that work before the actual re & re on the 1992 XJ6. What can you tell me?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

Yes there is tension so a spring compressor is needed to take the load off when changing out the shock and bushings. Most repair shops should have a couple of different spring compressors that can be used so it should not be difficult to have the shop compress the spring and install the shocks.