Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

My 2001 XKR failure engine mode comes on and the engine

Customer Question

My 2001 XKR failure engine mode comes on and the engine shuts down. Still runs but feels like on two cylinders. I turn off the engine and then I can start the car. This happens always at the wrong time in traffic or not.
Engine keeps running but feels and sounds like engine is on only two cylinders and I can not change the engine power up or down
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

Based on your description it sounds like we have a problem with the electronic throttle system specifically the throttle. This cases the vehicle to go into limp mode and usually cycling the key will reset it. To be sure we will need to have the vehicle scanned for the stored fault codes. A Jag factory tool is needed to do this but we can try a generic OBD II scan tool available at your local parts store to see if we can read any faults. It will read a P followed by four digits. For example P1121. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll know more after I take my car to my mechanic Wednesday. I'll respond after and I hope your right on.
Thank
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

OK sounds good. Let me know.