Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I have a 2012 Jaguar XJ. My trunk (boot anglophiles) wont

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Jaguar XJ. My trunk (boot for the anglophiles) wont open, and the car will not lock because the car thinks the trunk is open.
The motor is trying to open the trunk when I press the button, but the latch seems stuck.
I have a trunk full of stuff from the store, and tomorrow is a holiday. HELP??
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

Unfortunately there is no lock cylinder for the trunk or much access from behind the seat. The only thing we can do is jump power to the trunk latch connector while an assistant pushes down and up on the trunk lid to see if we can get it to open. First we need to pop down the rear seat back. First on the bottom of the rear seat cushion are four lever style retainers. There is a black lever that needs to be moved then the seat will come up. If you pull slightly upwards on the front of the rear seat cushion you should see them. Then once that is out of the way you will see two straps coming from the bottom of the seat back rest. Pull those straps whole folding the seat down. The connector is located to the side of the fuse box. It is a single wire black connector with either an orange or yellow wire. If we jump power from a 12 volt source like the battery the trunk may open.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the motor seems to be working trying to lift the trunk. Do you still think there is a power issue?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It is most likely a problem with the latch. The problem is after you press the trunk button a few times it will time out. With the jumper we can momentarily jump power to it quickly to see if we can get it to disengage. The only other method would be to try and pull the emergency release from behind the rear seat once you get that off you will see where the large harness goes through but there really is not much room to get anything there like a wire hanger or long hook.