Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Matt, My 99 XJ8L is throwing an error gearbox fault light

Customer Question

Hello Matt,
My 99 XJ8L is throwing an error gearbox fault light when I go into drive and then I have to give it more gas to get it to move, it jerks then the light comes on. It does not happen in any other gear.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

Unfortunately when the engine will rev up and then bang into gear when engaging drive and accelerating from a stop this is due to a mechanical failure specifically the forward drum inside the transmission. Of course we should start by checking the fluid level and condition. Since there is no dipstick this is not easily done. A level check plug needs to be removed with the trans fluid warmed, engine running and vehicle on a level surface or lift. We also need to have the vehicle scanned for the stored fault codes. A Jag factory tool will be needed to do this but we can try a generic OBD II scan tool to see if we can read any faults in the ECM. This tool will not be able to retrieve fault codes from the TCM. If the code is P1722 then it is usually internal. Let me know.