Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

My daughter has a 2003 Jaguar S type that all of a sudden

Customer Question

my daughter has a 2003 Jaguar S type that all of a sudden has kicked up a message that says gear box fault I have no idea what it means or how complicated it is at fixing
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

That warning is a transmission fault warning. When that warning comes on the TCM (Transmission Control Module) has detected an electrical or mechanical fault and has stored a fault code. It could be a number of issues. We would need to start with checking the fluid level and condition. Since there is no dipstick this is not easily done. A fill/level plug needs to be removed with the fluid warmed, engine running and vehicle on a level surface or lift. If fluid flow out then it is full. Another possibility is an electrical fault in a solenoid inside the valve body or the shifter. To be sure we will need to have the vehicle scanned for the stored fault codes. A Jag factory tool will be needed to do this but we can try a generic OBD II scan tool available at your local parts store to see if we can read any codes. It will be a P followed by four digits like P0741 as an example. If you can get a fault code let me know. It even can be a software reprogram of the TCM.