Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I have had a non crank issue with Stype R - it has not run

Customer Question

Hi, I have had a non crank issue with Stype R - it has not run for a long time. The security Led is flashing code 24 , but I can find no reference to this in any documentation. Could you indicate what the code means?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

Right now can you communicate with all the modules using WDS? I assume the engine will not crank? Will the shifter release from park with the ignition on and foot on the brake?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No comms with ECM. No release from park. Cannot apply or release Park brake. Instument message centre indicates no ABS , gearbox fault no dsc. Codes:-
B2141 IP control module config failure ( cannot configure with IDS) 100% relevance
B2879 IP Fuel tank jet pump fault Intermittent 12% relevance
U1900 IP CAN communication bus fault.there are other codes in other modules but these are the ones given for the non crank fault in IDS
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok we need to fix that no comms with the ECM first. We may have a problem with the ECM relay or the ECM itself. The ECM will ground th EMS relay supplying itself with power. We need to check for voltage at fuses 37 and 38 in the engien comparment fuse box. The relay powers more fuses but if these do not have voltage on both sides then we know the relay is not being energized. The relay is R4 in that same fuse box. If voltage is present on those fuses then continue to test all the other fses for voltage just in case one is blown. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks , fairly sure that I have tested the relay voltages in the past , but will recheck. The ECM , ABS , IP modules have been sent away and tested by a reliable source and all are deemed to be ok, but it's possible there's a fault that has not been detected.Will get back to you after checks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Power at F37 & 38 and all the fuses in both those rows except F21-5a & F18-20a
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok I will look back at the diagram. While I'm doing that out ids back on it to confirm we can communicate with all other modules except the ECM. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
communication with all other modules - just ECM no comms
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Fuse #18 (20 amp) should definitely have power with the ignition on. That comes from the throttle relay. Remove the relay which is R5. Under it the pins should be numbered. Go to the corresponding pins on the relay socket connector and make sure we have battery voltage to pins 1 and 3. If we do jump pins 3 and 5 to see if we have power to the fuse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** at the wiring schematic & assumed F18 should be powered , will test tomorrow am & get back to you.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
battery voltage pins 1&3 . With jumper across 3&5 F18 is live , so looks like ECM is not switching relay.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

That is what it looks like. If all the other fuses have power then it is either the ECM or wiring. Go to the 42 way block harness on the right side of the engine compartment and see if we have voltage with the ignition ON at pin 39 green/red as that is the trigger for the relay. If voltage is present then the ECM is not grounding the relay. We wil then need to confirm all powers, ground and the CAN network wires to the ECM. Also look for signs of water or corrosion in the ECM connector under the pollen filter housing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** til 19th so will have to follow this up then. Will check what you have suggested & get back after then.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

OK no problem. Have a safe trip