Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I have a 2006 x type. drove it yesterday to an appointment,

Customer Question

I have a 2006 x type. drove it yesterday to an appointment, no problem. An hour later, I went to drive home and the transmission would hardly engage. First gear "appears" to work, but as soon as it hits 2nd, 3rd and 4th it just rev's. I discovered if you
work the throttle, allow it to go through the gears and keep it below 2000 RPM, you can get to a destination. During my trip home, the digital display indicated "Gearbox Fault". When I got it home, I plugged in a OBD II reader and got the codes P0732, P0733
& P0734, Gear # ***** ratio. Research has shown, the trans is supposed to be a "Filled for Life" type and there is not really any fluid to check. More research indicates these codes could be: - Low transmission fluid level - Dirty transmission fluid -
Faulty Shift Solenoids - Shift Solenoids harness is open or shorted - Shift Solenoids circuit poot electrical connection - Transmission mechanical problems - Transmission hydraulic control circuit Short of bringing it to the dealer or a trans shop is there
anything I should do, look at, try, etc.?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

Usually the gear ratio codes usually indicate a mechanical failure. We will need to first check the fluid level and condition. You are correct that there is no dipstick. There is a level check plug that needs to be removed with the trans fluid warmed to temp, engine running and vehicle on a level surface or lift. We can check the external harness to make sure the connections are clean and secure. Also just in case lets also check the battery and cable connections. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard,It's a pleasure to work with you again. You have helped me out a couple times in the past with this vehicle.I will need to bring this in to a shop as I do not have a lift and the car is lower than I am skinny. If those codes usually indicate a mechanical failure, which doesn't sound good or cheap, I think it best to find a reputable transmission shop and have them do the checks and inspections.I did read a few people had an issue with the TCM getting exposed to moisture and having similar issues. Usually the result of a car wash. We have had rain around here lately as well very high humidity. Where can I find the external harness and TCM? I should at least be able to check those.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

The transmission harness is on the front pan below the battery. Sometimes I have seen instances where the battery would leak and corrode the harness under neath.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

The TCM is located behind the driver side dash behind the fuse box. You will see a small gray box if you have auto wipers. Remove the 10mm nut and that bracket. Then remove the two 10mm nuts securing the TCM. Remove it then disconnect the electrical connector to see if there are signs of water or corrosion.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Richard, I will check those and let you know once I do and report on the conditions of them.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok sounds good

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brought the car to a shop yesterday. Heard back from them today. The code they were able to pull was for a new shifter/shift gate. I didn't get the actual code number but does this sound like a possibility? The day it happened, I did notice the shifter felt "sticky" when I put it into gear/drive.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is a possibility but usually the shifter will not cause the gear ratio codes. Maybe they are getting a P0915 or P0706.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I drove the car there yesterday, I tried to get it to fail, slip and report the "Gearbox Fault" error, but it wouldn't. It drove fine with no issues. Prior to that the car had sat for almost 24 hours.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Lets have the battery tested and the cable connections checked as low voltage can be a possible cause.