Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I get a failsafe engine mode and stability control fail

Customer Question

I get a failsafe engine mode and stability control fail regularly on my 99 XK8. It tends to happen when I drive over rough roads I can reset most times, but it's most annoying. I replaced the throttle body twice. Any ideas?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

Did you have a chance to scan the vehicle for the stored faults? Does the vehicle go into a full limp mode?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know how to scan the vehicle for stored faults. But yes, the car does go into full limp mode. It allows me to slowly increase speed, but never restores performance until the fault resets. It will never reset while driving. But I can shut the engine down and restart. Sometimes, it resets with one try, sometimes it takes several. It is nearly always associated with a bump in the road. Lastly, sometimes at start-up, the engine will race to high RPM. It usually will calm itself to idle. Sometimes it will fail right then, sometimes not. Hope this helps
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks for the additional info. This does sound like a failure with the throttle but it can also be the electrical connector pins that are causing the issue. We will need to first scan the vehicle to see what the stored fault codes are. A Jag factory tool is needed to do this but we can try a generic OBD II tool available at your local parts store to see if we can read any faults. Let me know.