Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I just purchased a 2003 s-type about two weeks ago. Last

Customer Question

Hello Richard, I just purchased a 2003 s-type about two weeks ago. Last week I noticed it had a slight hesitation when it cranked. Then a couple days later I would turn the key to crank it but no sound. Then locked and unlocked the door from the outside and reattempted to crank and it fired right up. This occurred on three separate occasions until yesterday it would not crank at all using the same techniques. Its a bit strange because the vehicle is in great condition. Any thoughts on what this could be.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

Does the vehicle power up normally when you turn the ignition ON?

Any warnings on the message center?

Will the shifter release from park with the ignition ON and foot on the brake?

What does the red security LED do on the top center of the dash when you turn the ignition ON?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the car powers up normally with the ignition on. The A/C cuts on as well. There are no warnings on the message center. The shifter releases from park with the ignition switch on and my foot on the brake. When the ignition switch is turned to the on position, the security led is on for a few seconds then cuts off.There are warnings that appear when the vehicle is being driven. I've seen: check engine, park brake fault, and gear box fault. The only one that stays on is the park brake fault.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a portable battery jump starter. Would that be a good first step to eliminate battery concerns?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok we rules out a few possibilities already. Yes the first step would be to check the battery and cable connections. Low voltage can be the cause. If we can boost that battery see if it will crank. If not then it very well could be the starter motor that has failed. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery seems to be fine. It still will not turn with the portable battery connected. Where is the starter located on the 2003 Jaguar s-type?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It is underneath the vehicle on the passenger side. Go into the engine compartment fuse box and remove relay R20. With a voltmeter see if we have battery power on pin 3 of the relay socket. Then with a jumper wire touch pin 3 to pin 5 of the relay socket and see if the engine cranks. If it does not then the starter motor or wiring to the starter is the problem. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I have a bad starter. I'm putting another starter on in the morning. I'll let you know around 6:00pm if it turns out to be the problem.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok sounds good. Also make sure the main cables to the starter and the ground nut are clean.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, it was the starter that caused the car not to start. It starts up every time now. There is still a slight hesitation from the start of the crank to the start of the engine. The battery has been fully charged. I'm not certain if it's normal to hear that delay. First time owning a Jaguar.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

You really should not hear much if a delay. Double check all battery positive and negative cables.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I'll have to have the start up delay checked out. Right now I am glad to have it cranking every time. Thanks for the assistance.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

OK. Glad we were able to get o the root cause of the problem and correct it.