Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

How do I reset the computer I keep getting readings of

Customer Question

How do I reset the computer I keep getting readings of restricted performance on a 1999 jaguar XJ8
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

There are a few different possibilities which can cause this. It can be a number of engine sensors or actuators causing this like the mass air flow sensor, knock sensors or possibly an ignition coil. Some of these May fail and not cause an performance problems. It may not be that serious right now but may lead to something else. To be sure we will need to have the vehicle scanned for the stored fault codes. A Jag factory tool will be needed to do this but we can try using a generic OBD II scan tool available from your local parts store. If you can get me the fault code number it will help me better determine the possible causes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vehicle overheated the typos it broke off and I just want to reset the computer is there any other way to reset it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vehicle overheated the top hose came off and now I want to reset the computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The only way would be to clear the fault codes and disconnect the battery.