Mike, Diagnostic Technician for 30 years
Experience:  Technican - Business owner and Diagnostics for 34 years +..
9261905

I have 1998 jaguar xj8 parts car. no key....but i would like

Customer Question

i have 1998 jaguar xj8 parts car. no key....but i would like to move it to the back. Can i somehow unlock the steering without the key?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hello and Welcome -

My name is ***** ***** happy to help / advise -

Im afraid there is no easy way round this... you cannot unlock the steering without the key - you cant even remove the barrel without the key as it has to be turned to pos 1..

The only way is to remove the lock complete - the whole body. This involves removing the cowling to expose the lock - then you will see its held on with two bolts that you will need to drill out - they are sheer head bolts - so , no heads on the bolts.

On occasion someone has replaced the lock with ordinary bolts - in which case you will see heads and they are easily removed - If not though - then its as above to remove it Im afraid. You drill the bolts through until the lock casing comes loose / drops away... then you are away.

Im sorry there is not another way - short of getting another key to suit that lock -

Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..

~~~~ Meantime - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. Thank you in advance for that . ..

Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -

- Best Rgds, MIKE.