Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

My 2004 jaguar x-type 3.0 with 140000 has transmission light

Customer Question

my 2004 jaguar x-type 3.0 with 140000 has transmission light coming on intermittently with no apparent performance issues
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
Is it the red warning light and or the gearbox fault warning on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
has the word "trans"in box. think the warning is in yellow, not red
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok that is most like the transmission fault. Usually it says gearbox fault as the British like their terms. We first should check the battery and cable connections to make sure they are all clean and secure. We also should have the battery tested. Next look at the harness in the front of the transmission below the battery to make sure the connections and wiring is clean and secure. We will then need to have the vehicle scanned for the stored fault codes. A Jag factory tool is needed to do this but we can try a generic OBD II scan tool available at your local parts store to see if we can read fault codes.