Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I am getting a misfire code on the right hand side of the

Customer Question

I am getting a misfire code on the right hand side of the block (position 4)....I read somewhere that when you went into Restricted Mode that the computer would automatically shut down one of the cylinders....Is this true?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
The ECM can shut down the cylinder but once the fault is corrected and the code cleared it should come out of restricted. We should try clearing the codes and disconnecting the negative battery terminal cable for about ten minutes. Then reconnect it and see if the problem returns. If it still shows a missfire on cylinder 4 we should have a compression test done to see if it is low when compared to the other cylinders on that bank. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We knew that much..... I wanted to know if you can get it out of Restricted Mode to see if it has been fixed, since the computer has the ability to shut down a cylinder.... In other words is being in the Restricted Mode now the problem?...._Since we threaded the head, put in an helicoil insert, waited 24 hrs. for the adhesive to dry, put in a new plug & new coil....Also I was smelling gas in the cockpit a few weeks before the plug blew out (before I knew I had a plug fixing to come completely out)....what would that imply?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You may have had the smell because the plugs were loose as I have had that issue before. The restricted mode will clear after a key cycle so if it is still stuck or goes back.into restricted performance the ECM has detected a fault.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you need any further assistance. The question is still open on my end since you have not given a rating yet. Please send a positive rating so I can receive credit and if you need anything else please let me know.