Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

OK, I have a couple issues but this one just came up...I did

Customer Question

Hello Richard,
OK, I have a couple issues but this one just came up...I did a tune-up done many before but not on Jaguars. Total replaced the plugs, PCV, serpentine belt, etc. My son had removed everything in one evening, and I put it all back. We did jack up the front to get the belt replaced. So, the dilemma is this, I have it all ready to go, and it turns over but does not start, I did push the Fuel Reset, it seemed to have tripped when he jacked up the front so high. Any suggestions?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
Is the first cranking strong just not starting? Did either one of you clean out the intake?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cranks over normally. Yes, to the second question the intake was removed and taken to be cleaned by a professional cleaning shop.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok for some strange reason I see this after the intake is cleaned. First make sure the battery is fully charged and the electrical connections are double checked specifically the throttle and the large fuel injection harness connector under the throttle. Then spray some carb cleaner into the air intake tube to see if the engine will start and run on the spray. You may have to feather the gas. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Richard,
OK, I will give that a try, if I may ask that second question now, it pertains to a "GEARFAULT" check engine light. Here's what is happening occasionally. Sometimes when I drive the car, I will be plugging along and the car will feel as if it jumped out of gear, the RPMS rev up and I am not going anywhere. Now at that time I can see on the dash "Gear Fault" but funny thing is if I take my foot off the gas, and it allows the RPMS to drop down, for that instant, it will come back to life and drive and shift normally. I did a check on the Internet and this seems to be an issue with Jaguars. Can you give any solutions to this dilemma? As I mentioned it doesn't do it daily, I can drive for like a month without anything happening and then one day out of the blue, WHAMO slips out of gear and 'Gear Fault" pops on again.....I will let you know shortly about the intake no start issue...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Richard,
OK, on the no start issue, I put starting fluid right into the MAF of the throttle body, it started for a brief few seconds then dies and it does not fire up again, I tried this several times same results.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The gearbox fault can be caused by a few things and it could be mechanical inside the transmission, and electrical solenoid or even the transmission control module. To be sure we will need to have the vehicle scanned for the stored fault codes.
For this starting issue we need to go back and check for fuel pressure to the rail.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, what is the best procedures for doing this. I am pretty handy with my tools for sure, so do give me your expert Jaguar advice. As for the ECM no fault codes have been stored in the memory so far. lets start by getting it running first...:O). thank you...I do have some tools for checking the fuel rail pressure I do believe.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
We will need a more advanced scan tool that can communicate with the TCM to read the faults.
The early engines had a service port on the rail where a gauge can be installed. If not then special adapters are needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Richard,
Sorry had major PC issues.....will check the fuel rail next for pressure to see if it is getting fuel to the injectors and let you know what I find....
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
OK sounds good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Richard,
OK here's what I have done so far. I actually purchased the i930 scan tool, which was recommended by a local jaguar dealership, they said it would be a great tool because it is user specific for this car and all it's many modules (geez I can't believe how many this thing has even for a 2002). I hooked this one up and as it starts to read the codes it pops up and says "cannot communicate with ECU" now we didn't do anything with this ECU on the car other than a simple tune-up....all the suggestion the scan tool gave for it not reading seem fine, except the last one says if all other things check out OK, then the problem might be the bad ECU...have you ever known of an ECU just going bad from a simple tune-up, and what do you think from here on?
Chazz
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more note, I do know that if an ECU isn't working it should be knocking out the control modules even for the fuel pump...and OH, when I had a friend turn the car on, I was listening at the back to see if I could hear the purr of the electric fuel pump in the tank, and I couldn't hear anything. I guess another thing would be to look at the fuel pump fuse, relay and modules next correct?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Turn the ignition ON and see if you hear any buzzing from the throttle. If so then remove the tube off the throttle and with the ignition on have an assistant depress the gas pedal and look to see if the throttle plate moves.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Richard,
OK, I checked the TPS or Throttle and it does give the buzzing and the throttle plates do open up. I had a friend do small intermittent presses to see how the throttle plate responds and it seems to respond to whatever he does. I have checked all fuses (all good) and I am still questioning whether or not I should hear the fuel pump come on when the key is turned to the ON position....I do hear the pumps in my other vehicles for sure. But I don't know maybe Jaguars are really quiet. I didn't have the correct shrader valve for my fuel pressure kit, so, haven't been able to try that....any other suggestions thus far?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The pump will come on for about two seconds when you turn the ignition ON but normally they ate hard to hear as they are generally very quiet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, Richard, what is next on the preverbal test of information to see why this isn't running, especially since it was nothing but a simple tune-up......as I did mention earlier that the new Jaguar code reader scanner, says when trying to run a diagnostic on that particular car, "Cannot communicate with vehicle" or something like that. I really don't see how it could be a ECU if all the components are coming on correctly. I even ran a test with it to check all modules and it read each module at 100% OK. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
That is very strange. I would try another scan tool from your local parts store as most will loan them out so we can see if that one will communicate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Richard,
OK< I updated my Jaguar scanner, still cannot communicate with the ECU, so, I tried mine once again which is actually an expensive one, and it seems to be OK, I just keep getting the P1000 which is stating that the checks of some sort have not finished.....now a friend noticed this and I noticed it as well, when we are cranking it over, normally, a smell appears in the engine compartment which I can only describe as the same smell of the starting fluid we were trying, but that should have been burned out already correct. My son also did change the serpentine belt, but I don't see that as different correct? Any other suggestions? With either scanner I can run the regular tests on modules and they all check out as 100% OK...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, nothing typed ......I tried my more expensive scanner and it just puts out an P1000 saying it is not user specific or something. I also seem to get a smell while cranking that resembles what I call starting fluid....seems to crank normally...any other suggestions?"
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I recommend we have good spark and see if the plugs are wet with fuel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Richard,
OK, that is what I was expecting to do next. I guess I will have to rip the intake back off to check a few of them. My question is this though, how would I check for a good spark at these coils that are on each cylinder, I certainly have done this with standard plugs and plug wires....but I haven't quite figured out the nifty trick of checking for spark on coils in the cylinders since there is no wires....I even have a set of NOID lights to check to see if the coils are getting any juice but again that will entail taking the intake back off again correct?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You can remove a coil and spark plug. I would do an easy one in the front. Ground the threads of the plug to the engine and have an assistant crank the engine to see if there is good spark. Unfortunately to check injectors the intake will need to be removed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Richard,
OK, I will try these things tomorrow (Thursday) and see what I can see for the spark and fuel.....lets assume I do have spark and no fuel smell on the plugs....would this then be a fuel pump issue, or still possible the ECU because we couldn't get any reading or communication links....
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Could be either hut honestly I have never ran into a problem with the ECM where we had spark but no fuel. You can try cranking the engine with the intake removed and watch the spray of the injectors. I have done this many times. You need to be cautious when doing this like have nothing near the top of the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Richard,
OK, I have double checked the spark plugs, they don't have any fuel smell, so, I am looking at 2 things, one, I have heard that if that darned Fuel cutoff switch is bad it does not allow power to the ECU, is this correct? The other thing is that with a scanner I can scan all the other control modules perfectly fine, and some check out OK, it just says no communication from the ECU...should I start with that Fuel cutoff switch. I don't know how it got tripped in the first place, my son only jacked up the car to put it on jack stands and that was after we disconnected the ground. I don't know if it tripped when I actually tried to start it with it still in the air or not. I guess that is always possible. But do they go out as I have been told?
Chazz
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Usually the inertia switch will prevent the engine from cranking but yes we should check to make sure it has not tripped. We still may have a problem with the ECM.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Richard,
OK, before I had talked to you, I did know about the inertia switch and it was tripped as when I pushed the top, it clicked and is now down. So, I ran one more time with the Jaguar scanner I bought it still says failure no communication from the ECU...so, I decided to check out the scanners abilities and it actually read all the other control modules and most all of them passed. One said something about the rain sensing, which I am not worried about now. So, is there a way to check this ECU in or out of the car? If I have to buy a new one, I am like 80 miles from the nearest Jaguar dealer....do I need to do anything like programming the new one? Thank you,
Chazz
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I recommend we check battery voltage at all the fuses in the engine compartment fuse box with the ignition on again. The reason why we are checking for voltage is this will also check the system power relays and diodes. Unfortunately there is programming needed if a new or used ECM is installed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Richard,
OK, I will check the voltages on the fuses today and let you know what I found out too. I do understand the reasoning I think is to make sure that voltage is at the fuses, also lets us know that the ECU is sending out signals to the related diodes, and power relays. I will let you know what I find out.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Yes exactly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Richard,
OK, I have done all the tests on the fuses under the hood, and all have voltages, except 5 of them, and looking at the list of fuses those were the fuses like for the headlight, and so forth, I think it would be the 5 from F13 to F18....I don't see any of them having anything to do with the ECU.....so, with that being said, do we see the ECU as being bad, and if so, what would cause it to just go out, like that since it was fine prior to the tune-up, and have you seen this before?
Thank you,
Chazz
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Let me double check the diagram when I get back into the shop.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Richard,
OK, one thing I forgot to ask you. When I had the key on and testing the fuses, I do have the air cleaner box off the car presently, and as I was testing, I could hear a continuous buzzing from the Throttle plate sensor. Is that regular, as I haven't heard it that clear until having the box off and everything visible. That would tell me that the circuits to the MAF, and the Throttle are good correct?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Throttle should buzz. PLease doubl check that F18 in the front fuse box. If it is ok then maybe in the process of flexing the harness to remove the intake we have some damaged wires at the ECM connector.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Richard,
OK., I will check that fuse and will also take a look at the wire harness too....that was next on my list to disconnect it and look at the connections. One question though, if that Inertia Switch was tripped which when I pushed on the button it did click, if that switch is still some how bad it would keep the fuel pump module from working correct. Here's my personal thought, when I checked the plugs for fuel, did not find a hint or smell that fuel was in there. Now, when I spray the starter fluid into the intake and it fires off for those few seconds, that tells me that the ECM is working to apply spark, so the injectors should fire too, but, if there is no fuel to the rail, it would not start. Is my logic correct here? Could this still lead back to the Inertia Switch being bad, because it is now, keeping the fuel pump from coming back on? My wiring schematics don't show exactly, but is this switch a bi-metallic switch, that when triggered cuts it off by removing the ground?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

The inertia switch controls more than just the fuel pump so I don't think that is the problem. Let me know.