Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I have a 2002 X-type with 2.5L engine and 175k miles on it.

Customer Question

Hi
Problem is when transmission shifts gear from 5th to 3rd it "kicks" the gear in very roughly.
Strange thing is it only does that when i have driven at least 20min with cold engine/transmission it shifts nicely.
Also sometimes from 2nd to third it delays the shift but separates the clutch and again it kicks the gear in kick strength depends on the engine rpm, higher rpm = stronger kick. Is there any simple way to fix it or the gearbox is at his last miles ?
Thanks
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
Any fault warning lights or messages on? Can I have the last six of your VIN?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
check engine light only, C51372
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately this does sound like an internal failure in the transmission. Usually if it was a solenoid or module issue the gearbox fault warning will be on. of course we should first have the fluid level and condition checked. Since there is no dipstick this is not easily done as a level check plug needs to be removed with the fluid warmed, engine running and vehicle on a level surface or lift. Since the engine light is on we should scan it for the stored fault codes just in case. A Jag factory tool is needed to do this but we can try a generic OBD II scan tool available at your local parts store. Let me know.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you need any further assistance. Your question is still open on my end since it has yet to be rated. If you could please rate a positive rating so I can receive credit. If you need anything else or am not satisfied please let me kno

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All good, thanks