Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I took my car in to replace heater valve, mechanic said I

Customer Question

I took my car in to replace heater valve, mechanic said I had an oil leak due to wrong oil filter at last oil change, I had no warning lights on. When I picked up my car it had a rattling sound and he told me to add an additive. Within 24 hours there was a loud tapping sound. Now he says I need an new engine. There are still no warning lights. Could the rattling be a bad tensioner or lifters?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
Is the loud noise there all the time or just when you first start it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's there all the time.. It started off as a light tap tap and now is louder and faster
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok unfortunately this does sound like an internal engine noise like a bearing. Not sure it had anything to do with the heater valve unless the engine was running jot. We would need to pinpoint whether the noise is from the bottom or top end as the best course of action can be replacing the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been told that it could be the VVT or the tensioner? If the oil change was done incorrectly could this effect the solenoid on the VVT?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Usually the VVT and tensioner will be noisy on a cold start and go away once the engine built up oil pressure. It is a possibility but unlikely. As far as the oil change unless it was severely under filled I am not sure this was the cause but again it is a possibility.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it is the tensioner, does this noise also go away after awhile. Also the oil level was very low.. I took the car somewhere else and they topped it with 4 L of oil. I am also wondering why the low oil light didn't come on.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
usually the noise does go away if it is the tensioner. The oil pressure warning will only come on when the pressure is almost nothing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just seems too much of a coincidence that there was no prior warning of damage to the engine and no symptoms. The car performance was excellent, I went in for an A/C problem then was told that I had a minor oil leak, I pick up the car and there is now a tap tap sound that went away after the car was warm, a sound I had never heard before them within 24 hours my engine needs replacing. Also I felt the mechanic was dishonest when he told me he accessed my heater valve or DCCV valve from underneath the car. How is this valve usually accessed?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I usually replace it from the top.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you need any further assistance. Your question is still open on my end since it has yet to be rated. If you could please rate a positive rating so I can receive credit. If you need anything else or am not satisfied please let me know.